Let’s face it.
Not all of us have a Victoria Secret Angel body. You may have a plus-size body. Or, you may be thin, and athletic, and lack a perfect hourglass shape. You might want to hide scars. Maybe you want to shift the gaze from very small breasts.
I know the story well. You walk into the swimwear section and feel frustrated. You feel less than enthusiastic about the beach. You come up with excuses, and deny yourself a good time.
My body is slightly imperfect. I have narrow teenage-like hips, and long, somewhat skinny legs. I have strong shoulders that are a bit larger than my hips, and an above-average breast size. A strong mix of masculine and feminine. For swimwear, I love pastel or white shorts to visually make my hips larger, and add a bit of femininity to my body. The trick is simple. Lighter shades visually enlarge, while darker colors slim the body. Also, pay attention to prints. Horizontal prints widen, while diagonal, and vertical lines make the body look slimmer.
A great tan also flatters. If you are against indoor tanning sessions, or generally avoid extensive sun exposure, use bronzer. I love protective tanning lotions with a bronzer and shimmer. If you use indoor tanning, don’t forget to drink a lot of water to avoid dehydration, and combine tanning sessions with red light therapy to rejuvenate, and tone your skin.
I also love shopping online for Victoria Secret’s swimming suits by using their Beach Sexy Bikini Mixer tool. It allows mixing and matching tops and bottoms to custom perfect suit. Great news is that their swim collection is available both through iPad and iPhone apps; which is awesome, considering the fact that lately I prefer iPad and iPhone to the desktop.
Recently I had the opportunity to attend Victoria’s Secret U.S. of Angels Summer Tour in Milwaukee and interview Erin Heatherton. For more information about the event, click here. For insights, including the interview with Erin, click here.
Here are few more tips on how to choose the right swim suit:
- Large thighs and hips? Don’t despair. Celebrate your feminine look by using glamorous sarongs or skirted bottoms.
- Not every one-piece swimming suit will make you look slimmer in the waist area, unless it has an optical illusion print, vertical lines, or skirt attached. Instead, go for monokinis.
- If you have strong shoulders, show them off! Go for thin straps or a totally strapless look. Strong shoulders are sexy. Embrace them.
- If you breasts are small, instead of padding, you might want to try a top with ruffles, one of the hottest trends of this season.
- Petite women will look super chic in retro-inspired high-waisted bottoms.
- If you have a plus-size body, choose a one-piece swimming suit with a deep V-cut. Use a chic cover-up for your sunny getaway. There are so many options available online and at local retail stores.
- Above all, embrace your body and be confident! You are unique. There is no one like you. You are beautiful!