1. MARC JACOBS metallic closed-toe slip-ons $160 – yoox
2. BALENCIAGA two-tone sandals with sculpted heel $315 – yoox
3. EMPORIO ARMANI techno fabric ankle boots $149 – yoox
4. DSQUARED2 wooden heel kidskin sandals $135 – yoox
5. COSTUME NATIONAL red closed-toe slip-ons w/ narrow toe line. $175 – yoox
6. JIL SANDER leather closed-toe slip-ons $195 – yoox
7. MARC JACOBS ankle boots $165 – yoox
8. ALEXANDER WANG ankle boots $149 – yoox
9. EMPORIO ARMANI sandals $139 – yoox
Note: Yoox has an extremely limited quantity of the above products. Sometimes the clearance items get sold out very quickly. Also, note, that those are European sizes; therefore, they tend to run a half size to one full size smaller than U.S. sizes.
Happy Shopping and enjoy your weekend!
Let’s face it.
Not all of us have a Victoria Secret Angel body. You may have a plus-size body. Or, you may be thin, and athletic, and lack a perfect hourglass shape. You might want to hide scars. Maybe you want to shift the gaze from very small breasts.
I know the story well. You walk into the swimwear section and feel frustrated. You feel less than enthusiastic about the beach. You come up with excuses, and deny yourself a good time.
My body is slightly imperfect. I have narrow teenage-like hips, and long, somewhat skinny legs. I have strong shoulders that are a bit larger than my hips, and an above-average breast size. A strong mix of masculine and feminine. For swimwear, I love pastel or white shorts to visually make my hips larger, and add a bit of femininity to my body. The trick is simple. Lighter shades visually enlarge, while darker colors slim the body. Also, pay attention to prints. Horizontal prints widen, while diagonal, and vertical lines make the body look slimmer.
A great tan also flatters. If you are against indoor tanning sessions, or generally avoid extensive sun exposure, use bronzer. I love protective tanning lotions with a bronzer and shimmer. If you use indoor tanning, don’t forget to drink a lot of water to avoid dehydration, and combine tanning sessions with red light therapy to rejuvenate, and tone your skin.
I also love shopping online for Victoria Secret’s swimming suits by using their Beach Sexy Bikini Mixer tool. It allows mixing and matching tops and bottoms to custom perfect suit. Great news is that their swim collection is available both through iPad and iPhone apps; which is awesome, considering the fact that lately I prefer iPad and iPhone to the desktop.
Recently I had the opportunity to attend Victoria’s Secret U.S. of Angels Summer Tour in Milwaukee and interview Erin Heatherton. For more information about the event, click here. For insights, including the interview with Erin, click here.
Here are few more tips on how to choose the right swim suit:
- Large thighs and hips? Don’t despair. Celebrate your feminine look by using glamorous sarongs or skirted bottoms.
- Not every one-piece swimming suit will make you look slimmer in the waist area, unless it has an optical illusion print, vertical lines, or skirt attached. Instead, go for monokinis.
- If you have strong shoulders, show them off! Go for thin straps or a totally strapless look. Strong shoulders are sexy. Embrace them.
- If you breasts are small, instead of padding, you might want to try a top with ruffles, one of the hottest trends of this season.
- Petite women will look super chic in retro-inspired high-waisted bottoms.
- If you have a plus-size body, choose a one-piece swimming suit with a deep V-cut. Use a chic cover-up for your sunny getaway. There are so many options available online and at local retail stores.
- Above all, embrace your body and be confident! You are unique. There is no one like you. You are beautiful!
Summers, particularly in Milwaukee, can be extremely hot and humid. Growing up in dry Western Siberia, I can barely tolerate mugginess. You might think that hot weather sounds nice, but I like the words starting with “c”— cool, calm and comfy.
I pull this off in a Milwaukee summer by wearing linen.
I confess that there was a time I avoided linen, because I preferred practical and wrinkle-free clothes. I always believed that wrinkles created a bad impression.
My Italy travels changed my mind. I saw that wrinkled linen looks quite chic, modern and effortless.
I like to wear this Alexander Wang (T Alexander Wang collection) cape during summer festivals and weekend trips to Lake Michigan beaches. It is made of a blend of linen and tencel. I discovered that the latter is another natural fabric, which is extremely soft. As linen, it keeps the skin dry. It’s particularly wonderful for sensitive skin. I’ve also discovered that tencel is resistant to wrinkles; therefore, the blend with linen produces a less wrinkled, and a slightly thicker fabric, which feels very nice.
If you are still scared of wearing a linen garment, here is my advice:
1. Instead of choosing 100% linen garments, go for fabric blends. Make sure that that the other component is made from a natural fiber, as well, or the magic benefits of linen will be significantly lessened. Look for silk, cotton, tencel, or ramie.
2. Choose monotone fabrics with an emphasis on design. Linen garments that feature a loose fit and haute design look best.
3. Linen garments look best when combined with clothes made of natural fibers, such as cotton, silk, wool, etc. Although denim is rarely made of 100% natural fibers lately, it will go well with a linen garment, as well.
4. Give preference to accessories made from genuine leather, natural fibers and natural materials.
5. Avoid pairing loose linen garments with another loose piece. For instance, if you wear linen harem pants, don’t wear them with baggy T-shirt, otherwise you’ll end up having a loose, trampy look. Not good at all. Instead, pair them with a cropped top or slightly tight T-shirt. Counterbalance loose garments by showing off the best features of your body.
For more info about Alexander Wang, and my perspective on designer click here.
Do you like to wear linen? What is your opinion on the wrinkled look?
Is there any particular brand you can’t imagine your wardrobe without? A brand that you wear all the time, no matter what the trends are?
Personally, I love Alexander Wang. His T by Alexander Wang collection serves me well for leisure wear. His major line is appropriate for office wear with its minimalistic, slightly androgynous style. His footwear is always edgy and chic. Alexander Wang rarely uses prints. His focus is high-quality fabric and fantastic tailoring. His characteristic minimalism, peppered with an urban and futuristic flair, creates a new, fresh perspective on modern luxury.
Tell me about the brands you’ve closeted.
We all have our favorite wardrobe pieces, which fit perfectly and flatter our bodies. Yet, even a beautiful piece can become boring and outdated. In this case, I personally love to purchase new accessories or mix my favorite outfit with new trends for an instant updated look. The great thing is, unlike decades ago when mixing different trends was a fashion faux pas, today’s fashion enthusiasts consider it standard. It can also save you a tremendous amount of money.
So, if you are thinking about updating your wardrobe without breaking a bank account, here are a few things you might want to consider purchasing:
Beanie hat!! Ah, I absolutely love this trend. The right beanie hat can instantly update your look and erase years, if it is mixed with the right clothes. Don’t be afraid to mix it up with formal wear, such as blazers, oversized coats and pointed toe pumps for a chic, modern look.
What are your favorite trends?
Let’s face it. Not everyone has perfect proportions no matter how hard you work out. Hour glass-shaped women quite often desire to make their hips look slimmer and legs look longer. Rectangular shaped women who usually have long beautiful legs desire to make the waist look thinner. While wearing all black might make you look few pounds lighter, the current trends enable a great choice of dresses with structural design and a pattern which creates the optical illusion of changing size. I absolutely love these dresses.