Did Aunt Jenny’s Thanksgiving photo add 10 pounds to your physique? Next time a photo-wielding relative aims the camera, don’t panic. Learn the rules of looking great on film.
First, understand that the photo is a two-dimensional image. Therefore, when a three-dimensional object is captured, its depth illusion decreases. This makes the overall object appear wider. As a kid, I loved three-dimensional drawings and could effortlessly draw them. A good, experienced photographer requires three-dimensional perception to bring out the best in a model. That said, Aunt Jenny is probably not a trained photographer.
Still, there are a few things you can do so that you don’t have to hide behind someone at the next family gathering.
- Stop making the “duck” lips. Embrace your beauty and make a natural soft smile.
- Chewing gum is out.
- If you want to look slimmer, go with navy, purple or maroon colors, rather than black. Colors look amazing on photos.
- If you DO like black-and-white photography, wear something white. White looks terrific against a dark background.
- Pose to make the waist slimmer by putting one or both hands on the hips. If you are trying to sell the garment, make sure that your pose does not change the actual design.
White Maxi Dress. For more details click here
- A shirt tied around the waist a-la-1990s will also make your body appear slimmer. This is a great styling trick for achieving an effortlessly chic, casual look.
- To avoid a double chin and make the neck appear longer, pull your head forward and push your shoulders down.
- Stand straight and twist your torso at a 30- to 45-degree angle to look slimmer.
- A pair of heels will slenderize. Also, one color from head to toe will make you appear taller.
- Wearing loose garments? Photos will come out fabulous if you are moving. Walk, dance, run and do whatever makes you feel great.
Linen Cape. For more details click here.
- Make sure you DO feel good in your skin and comfortable with the photographer even if it is Aunt Jenny. Sometimes no matter how beautiful you look, the images do not turn out, if you are not feeling confident, or you are simply in a bad mood.